Saturday, March 3, 2007

My students were excited, motivated, and engaged! ~Hui-Yin~

Hi all,

My class started the project yesterday (Friday). It went very well, except a few technical errors caused by the blogger.com itself. My class meets every Friday in the computer lab, so it makes the implementation a lot easier. I was very lucky to have ShiangKwei come help me out and demonstrate all the ICTs application step by step in class. Students created their gmail accounts, started their clues and defnition writings collaboratively. They were so excited, motivated, and engaged! With google documents, they had the impression that everyone could work on the same document at he same time, but then they realized that one person would have to wrok on one document and then the next person could add to the revisions. It took us about 90 minutes to set up our preparation work, but it was a good start. One of the student even printed out a copy of his blog and made a comment with pride: "you've got to take this home and show it to your family members like you were an elementary student!" Apparently he was very proud of himself and couldn't wait to show off his blog to his family. One student looked at me and asked, "So we are going to talk to teachers from other countries? How cool is that? I really can't wait to meet them online." Next week I will help my students put things into perspectves by explaining the framework and rationale of our global project, which will also help them relate to the learning objectives in this course. Once I have more stories, I will continue updating. To be continued... Good night, Saturday Night LIVE from Long Island.

3 comments:

SK Wang said...

I can't wait to see all our students meeting online in the chatroom, it must ben fun!!

Shiangkwei

S McPherson said...

OC the students can revise each others work - that's the point of how a wiki works. But how will that work for a class activity? I was going to do more with the clues and the definitions as a class activity. Is that going to work? The clues was a homework assignment but I'm not confident that they understood the Google documents well enough to do much. Also, only about 60% of class came. Evidently some got a communication that this coming week is first class. Ugh!!! Communication is so difficult!!!

SK Wang said...

It's supposed to be a homework assignment. However her class has only Friday to Sunday to complete the assignment so Huiyin gave them more time to do this project during the class. They will continue to complete it during the weekend.

It is difficult for some of the users and I think f2f session is necessary to encourage them. Did you try to show them the instructional animation? It should be a lot easier to follow the animation to complete the task.

Shiangkwei